Looking for a Place
From telephone services to newspapers, from notice boards to rental services, there are many ways to search for an apartment in Vancouver.
- AMS Rentsline - this is an automated touch-tone telephone service as well as an online service for finding off-campus housing (Tel: 604-714-4848)
- Province and Vancouver Sun classifieds - listings for both newspapers are available online as well as in print, and you could also check the classifieds in the Georgia Straight and the Vancouver Courier
- Craigslist - this is popular website for housing and other classifieds
- Rent BC - An easy to use site for rental housing search areas in BC.
- www.cmhc.ca - A new comprehensive rental guide, developed by Canada Mortgage & Housing and rental guide.
- Home for Students - This site is a national service, free to students, to provide cheap off-campus housing. It is divided up into provinces, and then sub-categorized by city.
- www.padmapper.com - You can use this website to filter rental postings and it shows postings on an easy to use map.
- www.eslrent.com - Furnished apartments and shared apartments for rent to international students in downtown Vancouver.
- http://www.apartmentguide.ca - A comprehensive guide to Vancouver's rental apartments.
- Apartments Canada - Internet apartment guide for Canada.
- Rental services - often advertised in the rental listing sections of newspapers, these services provide you with a list of vacancies that meet your criteria. They can be helpful and quick, but you'll have to pay a fee.
- www.rentseeker.ca -A website which includes rental opportunities specific to students
- www.rentgeek.com -A website which includes information about the property and the neighborhood
Newspaper ads and notice board postings use abbreviations to describe accommodations:
|Appl.||Appliances (stove, refrigerator and dishwasher)|
|Bdrm. or br.||Bedroom|
|Bsmt.||Basement suite (self-contained suite below the main floor of the building)|
|Cable||Extra channels for your television (sometimes included in cost of rent)|
|F.||Prefer female occupant|
|F&S||Fridge and stove only, no other appliances|
|Hot plate||Heating element for cooking, but no stove or oven|
|Gas||Natural gas (heating)|
|Incl. util.||Price includes cost of utilities (heat, hot water)|
|M.||Prefer male occupant|
|N/D||Non-drinkers (of alcohol) only|
|N/P||No pets allowed|
|Pvt. Ent.||Private entrance|
|R&B or RB||Room and board (cooked meals are included in cost)|
|Ste.||Suite (self-contained set of rooms)|
|W/D||Washer and dryer|
RENTAL LISTING BOARDS AT UBC
1. Student Union Building, 6138 Student Union Boulevard, UBC Campus
This off-campus housing notice board is managed by the AMS (Alma Mater Society) and can be found in the basement level, south entrance. The notices are changed weekly. Listings include shared and self-contained apartments and houses.
2. Graduate Student Society, 6371 Crescent Road, UBC Campus
The GSS maintains an off-campus listing service for graduate students on the main floor foyer.
3. International House, 1783 West Mall, UBC Campus
This notice board is mainly for International students who are seeking accommodation with Canadian families in the Vancouver area.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR
• Do the appliances work? Check inside the fridge and turn on the stove.
• How loud is traffic noise when the windows are open?
• Are there locks on all doors?
• Do the shower and taps work? Turn each one on.
• Do the walls require new paint? If so, ask the landlord to paint before you move in.
• Is the carpet clean? Ask the landlord if the carpet will be cleaned before you move in.
• What does the rent include?
• Will you have to pay extra for heat, electricity, cable, laundry facilities, storage, or parking?
• Is smoking allowed?
• Is the place pet-friendly?
• Can you paint the walls?
• Are you allowed to hang things on the walls?
• Water damage (yellow stains on the walls and ceiling), mouse droppings, and cockroaches are very bad signs. Avoid renting suites that have these problems. Be sure to alert your landlord to these issues if they come up after you have moved in.